Saturday, August 9, 2008

Penny For Your Thoughts

This is a quick blog! Korban found some old pennies I have saved in hopes that one day they will be worth something (probably for my great-great-great grandchildren!). One is 1953, 1942 (s), 1932, and 1930.
It crazy to think that I have a penny that was created 78 years ago! I had forgotten about these pennies and figured David was the oldest thing I had! I know I am so mean to tease him about his age, but like most bullies I only tease about things that make me insecure! I only have a few precious years left to tease David about being "old" because once I hit 30 I will be ancient too and won't be able to tease him anymore!
Back to the pennies! It's amazing to me that, that penny had been in circulation for about 75 years until I bought it at face value from a store (the grocery store or something I got one and know that money like people likes to travel in groups and asked if there were more and of course I was right!) along with it's fellows.
They aren't worth much now (.20 to about 3.00) but imagine all that penny has seen! It could have been used to buy someone's way into a speakeasy or pay a bill during the depression! It was there when Marlyn Monroe and James Dean were the stuff, Elvis was still King, and cars were made in America. It has seen man walk on the moon, two Beatles die, and Twin Towers fall. And amazingly enough, when a penny was still worth a penny.

Yours, K.

0 comments: