Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees

A new movie came out on Friday called The Secret Life of Bees. It's based on the book. It is about a girl in the 1960's who is looking for answers about her mother. It takes place in the south shortly after the Civil Rights law was signed ( July 1964 ) abolishing "separate but equal" in the United States.
I really "feel" this story. Maybe because I love the era. Maybe because I know if I had been alive then I would have fought for every person's freedom. Maybe because I am a woman. Maybe because I am drawn to the south and it's simple way of life. I don't know.
I do know that it makes me think.
I feel like I was born at the wrong time. That my life was mistaken for someone elses. I hate being part of a generation that is named for it's nothingness. I am known as simply "X". I have nothing to fight for. Nothing to change. Nothing to gain.
I want to be marching for everyone's right to vote. I want to fight for a person's right to sit where ever they want on the bus (front or back), I want to warn people of the senselessness of war.
I loved the message. I loved the music. I loved the clothing. I loved seance of awereness people had.
They fought to go to school. They fought to vote. They fought to be seen as equal. They could appreciate what it meant.
In Australia voting is not a choice. It's the law. You vote. No questions asked. And as much as I wish it were compulsory here, I am so happy it's not. Forcing anyone to do anything (even if it is a very good thing) is so wrong.
I wish that every person in my generation could see that voting is not a hassle, it is an honor. The fact that we can or can not is a gift. I feel like we take our freedom for granted. I have always felt that peace is better, but war makes us realize what we have and how precious it is. I guarantee you that if the right to vote were taken from us (or there were even a mention of it) people would be up in arms to protect that freedom, yet we do nothing with that freedom.
The day I turned eighteen I registered to vote. It was nowhere near any kind of election, but I had looked forward to that day for years! Even then I knew it was a privilege to be able to vote. Even after I move to Australia, for what will be the rest of my life, I plan on keeping my citizenship as well as voting from abroad.
I only wish that we were born with the longing to embrace our freedom and make the most of what is given to us. I plan on teaching Korban ( and other children if I am so blessed ) how blessed they are to have half of their heritage rooted in a democratic society and the men and women who gave most or all to preserve that privilege.
I do not know why I feel such a deep seance of gratitude for where I came from and for those who have made it that way. I can't remember being taught to be that way. I know for a fact that I am a minority in my feelings for my age group.
I just know that I love love love America, with all if it's major imperfections, and I thank thank thank every person who has stood and fallen fro me when I could not to bless my life with this beautiful country.
I encourage and plead with you to all go vote. I think actively using our freedom is the best way to honor those who can not due to circumstance, choice, or death.

"Land of the pilgrim's pride. Land where our father's died. From every mountain top, let freedom ring . . ."

0 comments: