Sunday, January 18, 2009

TY Dateline


By now everyone who doesn't live under a rock knows about the plane that crash landed in the Hudson and not only stayed in tact, but also rendered every single person on board alive with very few injuries (the worst being broken legs).
Of course I read about online, but it was very brief. I was just happy everyone was okay! I thought it was great that the plane was whole but my exact words were, "I care about people not planes." After having watched Dateline I realize what a miracle this landing was.
And anyone who had allowed me to get serious enough to start talking about God knows that I firmly believe that He is, and will always be, a God of miracles. This landing further proves it to me.
Everything that could have gone right, did. While our Heavenly Father can't prevent us from falling down in life, He can slow the fall and soften our landing. He did this for all those on that flight.
The pilot was AMAZING!!! He is a trained AF pilot. A veteran commercial pilot. And also very exp in another form of air travel that has to do with coasting landings. All of these things helped him land that plane on top of a river!!!! On top of that to keep the plane from ripping apart.
The water in the Hudson is frigid. Only minutes in it can literally kill you. The passengers were able to stand on the wings of the plane and stay dry after surviving what could have been a very deadly landing. The plane being in tact helped save the passengers many times over.
The Hudson is a large ferry boat area. Before the plane was fully evacuated there were apx six ferry boats evacuating passengers before any of them got wet. The ferries were able to travel with the current and continue to rescue. While some passengers did get wet it was minor exposure and very few had to be treated for hypothermia.
Despite this being a terrifying exp I'm sure, it's been told over and over that the passengers on the plane were orderly and calm. Everyone aboard rushed women and children out first. There was little chaos or panic. I am reminded of the poor man who got trampled to death at Wal-Mart by people who wanted cheap DVDs, the polar opposite of a reason to be that out of control, and these passengers who were literally facing death, stayed calm and dignified.
The emergency responders to the scene did an amazing job too. They were fast and coordinated, I am sure from lessons learned at 9/11. All the passengers said what a wonderful job all of them did.
It's just amazing how so many things went right. I could be writing this blog entry about how sad it is that families lost their loved ones and how I will be praying for them. But joy of joys, I am writing about miracles!
Also I LOVE NYC!!! The people there may be in your face and brutally honest, but once you have a friend you have friend for life. They love you there. They literally would give you the shirt off their backs. And honestly I would rather have someone in my face being honest then someone pretending they like me then doing the "christian" thing and talking about me behind my back, but I digress!
The pilot in my life was obviously more impressed by the landing and how skillful it was whereas, as I have said repeatedly, I am impressed by the fact that he did such an amazing job ensuring the safety of his passengers. He stayed calm, cool, and in control. He made amazingly wonderful decisions in split seconds. Those decisions saved 150+ lives. And as a truly good captain he was very last off the plane. Wow! In a day of "every man for himself" chivalry like that warms my heart!
So dear blog readers enjoy this brief ray of sunshine in my blogging, I'm sure I will be back to my crying about being stuck waiting by my next entry!
May all of you see the miracles I KNOW He has performed in your lives, no matter how small.

Yours, K.

0 comments: