Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday, Sunday

Wow, it's Sunday yet again! I know tech it's the beginning of the week but for me it's the end. I mean come on most people get of Sat & Sun so I'm not sure how it's the beginning and not the end. All I can figure is it goes back to Jewish times when the Sabbath was on Sat. and that would make Sun the first day of the week because that is when you would go back to work, however in current times now the Sabbath is on Sun (well for Christians and some how they seem to have dominated the way things go as far as when to celebrate the Sabbath in main stream society as far as the actual number of Christians to Jews I have no idea, I know there are large numbers in each denomination) and therefore Mon is the new Sun and the beginning of the "work week". You have to hand it to the Jewish faith though for their tradition being so strong that the calendar still hasn't been changed despite the otherwise heavy Christian influences!
I read a book called "My Name Is Asher Lev" when I was in humanities and it was so interesting. It was about a strict Jewish family living all the practices and a young man within that community named Asher who had a great talent for art, but in his culture it was frowned upon, I think maybe even a sin. Asher was torn between what he was taught growing up and what he loved to do. The book was all about his inner struggle to choose one or the other because as the bible say: "No man can server two masters . . ." I would hate to have to make that choice! Thank goodness I never will as far as I can determine.
Well check out that book if you want a good read plus you're able to learn so much about Jewish tradition and that is something I love! I love learning about other faiths and cultures, I feel it enhances and rich ens life to know, respect, and in some cases love what other people hold dear. I would hope by doing so they might do the same for me!
Okay I guess I am done. I'm not feeling too lonely today. Yesterday was pretty bad, I cried alot and felt a little hopeless. The house was a mess and I didn't want to cook. I wanted to sleep all day and feel no pain, but I did get up and do what I had to as a mom. Saturday was a crappy day, but today is much better, and I'm glad of it, one can only take so many crappy days in a row you know!
Peace be unto you!


yours, K.

0 comments: